Saturday, 31 January 2015

Container City - Project review thingy - week 18

The group project is finished! And I am very tired.

This week was pretty intense, but a lot of the work in our level had already been done, so it could have been much worse. I actually found myself twiddling my thumbs enough during the start of this week to add a menu system and sound while I waited for Dom and Liv to finished their assets, so I could finish all the lighting, and Sharn and I could finish the blueprints. Friday evening was a mad rush to get everything sorted and in order, and I felt more than a little bit annoyed that everything had ultimately been left to me to finish while everyone else was off doing whatever. Anyway, I managed to get everything done, I think. I think I was told to do some things or add some things that I forgot about, but I had stopped caring by that point. The level works - that's good enough. If people wanted more, they should have come in and done it themselves.

So, this week, I did:
  • UI - main menu, pause menu, in-game prompts
  • Sound
  • Post processing
  • More particle effects added
  • Improved the plant material by adding subsurface scattering
  • Re-did textures
  • Final level population
  • Final lighting passes
  • Added some simple interactive elements (lamp and radio)

The star of this group project was Sharn, who not only made all the modular container and pipe pieces, but also did the bulk of interactive elements - that fancy key system, and that fancy basement lighting system, mmmm.

A lot of improvements could be made to our level, but it's still pretty polished for a 4 week project, in my opinion. The main thing I'm dissatisfied with is the end room, as it seems pretty anti-climactic.
In terms of my own work, a general texture tidy up for some of my assets would have been a smart thing to do, as well as tweaking some of the in-game prompts.

As a group, we worked okay together, though it really was just Sharn and I for almost all the project. There were no major disagreements or fall outs, but again, that was probably in-part due to there being no one there to fall out with. Oh well.

Sunday, 25 January 2015

Thursday, 22 January 2015

Container City week 2 - week 16

During the second week for this project, we had to present our projects so far. The feedback we received for our idea was positive, so there was nothing we really had to change.

This week, I focused on building the bulk of the level - putting the container pieces together. Sharn was the one who modeled the modular pieces, and they look damn fine.

Modular container pieces
This is the level build out of the container pieces:

I made a storyboard of our level to help better show what we wanted to happen at each point:

Level storyboard

We also spent a lot of this week modelling

The greenhouse by the end of the week

Friday, 16 January 2015

Container City - week 15

The first project for the new term is a group project - huzzah! This one is all about level design, which is something we haven't really focused on much before, so that's neat. In teams of 4, we have to build a level with a start and end - and some interactive elements - based on shipping containers. The levels can either fit into the theme of sci-fi or rusty dystopian.

My team chose dystopian.

We started off by doodling a basic level - we knew we wanted 2 floors. We came up with the idea of the floor collapsing at some point in the level, so you would end up on the lower floor, which would be flooded.

I then made a whitebox for us to test out the level

Time Management

Week 1
-Level blockout
-Compile asset list
-First lighting pass

Week 2
-Model modular pieces
-Model bulk of assets
-Second lighting pass
-Paint overs
-Some engine stuff

Week 3
-All assets modelled
-All assets Textured
-3rd lighting pass
-More paint overs
-Most engine stuff added

Week 4
-Final Lighting pass
-All engine stuff added
-Final texture pass

We split up the level into different sections and divided the sections amongst ourselves - I was tasked with designing the greenhouse.

We wanted the level to be very overgrown and falling apart, so I collected a bunch of images to show the feeling of what I wanted the greenhouse to be like, before moving onto concepting.

We also did the first lighting pass on the level.

Saturday, 3 January 2015

Just about to grab the train back to Leicester. I had a nice Christmas break, but wasn't able to do as much work as I had hoped because of my laptop. Anyway, thought I'd post some photos from a walk down the gault on a particularly clear day.