Wednesday, 18 March 2015

Standing Still

Today I had my first, and last, review for my second year, with 2 weeks left before submission. In all honesty, I was hoping for better - last year, I was at 55, this year I'm at 52. Of course, this year actually counts towards my final degree. I'm disappointed, but I know I tried hard - a lot harder than last year - and I feel like I've improved a phenomenal amount. No matter what I did, it wasn't good enough though. Obviously, I've passed, but I didn't want to pass - I wanted to do well. So, what am I going to do about it? I've got 2 weeks to go from a 2:2 to a first, somehow, heh. Although, I'm not sure if re-submissions are capped for marking - that part was handily left out of the review.

We're being marked on 2 of our 5 projects only - the character project and the container city level (and I'm hoping Off The Map, of course, but really, who knows at this point). Container city can't be resubmitted at all, so there's nothing that can be done about that. The character project was easily my weakest project, as I'm definitely not a character artist and don't want to be, but it seems unlikely any of our other projects are going to be looked at much, so it's the one I have to focus on.

My characters

For my characters, I was told to add more deformation loops and improve the textures, as block colours are too simple, even if that's the style. This will get me to a 2:2 in this project, though I don't know what I'm supposed to do to get higher. I will do more iterations and "improvements" just in case I hit the nail on the head for what would actually get me a higher mark.

I'm especially disappointed about the container city project. Looking back now, I realise there're many things Sharn and I could have done to improve our things in the level, but it's too late. I was told we should have planned our level for just the 2 of us, once we realised it would practically be a 2 man team, not 4. Of course, that wasn't actually a possible option. We shouldn't have made the mistake of trading off the starting and ending rooms to someone who wasn't going to be there ever. The lack of polish in our level is clear, which is primarily were it fell down, and where we fell with it.

The greenhouse

Over summer, or perhaps over easter, I'm going to be revisiting my precious greenhouse - ignoring tri counts, ignoring texture limits - and see if I can kick it up to scratch, just for my own peace of mind.

I think at this point, it's not worth bothering about this year anymore. There are 2 weeks left of the year, technically, so I should just try and do better next year. There's still Off The Map, of course, though I think I'm personally unlikely to do well in that project, as I feel my contribution to the level has been extremely minimal, and there's nothing much I can do more. I feel inadequate within my team and definitely like the weakest member, which the marks are likely to end up reflecting.

Plan B: Park ranger