Sunday, 11 October 2015

Roof Top shenanigans

I have 3 weeks to make a New York roof environment that works as a map for a third-person shooter game. The style for this project is realistic, so I have to collect a lot of photo reference for it.


I decided pretty quickly that I wanted to make a roof top bar. New York seems to have quite a lot of roof top bars, and I thought it would be a more interesting environment to make and look at than a standard generic roof top.




After some doodles, I make a rough floor plan. This was my first and only iteration with it, so perhaps I could have tried more things out, but according to the brief we were only supposed to spend a day and a half on concepting anyway. I figure that if it ends up not working, I can change it just as easily on 3d.

Next, I built a basic whitebox to run round in.







Then a couple of whitebox paintovers...


I didn't want to spend too much time concepting as I didn't think there was much point for this project, as it's not a concepting project.

I got some feedback from Casto to add more roofs to make the map more interesting, which I'll try and do.